Saturday, May 31, 2008

COMMENTS FROM FORMER STAFFERS

Hey Kenny Z, congrats on your retirement! My path to a successful journalism career began with you and I'll always have fond memories of working at the Torch.
- Scott JungmanFormer Trojan Torch sports editor

Ken Zelnis is without a doubt the most influential teacher I ever had at Plainwell High School -- during my 2.5 years with the Torch. He inspired me to follow my passion for writing and communication, and even to this day that is the foundation for my career as a marketing and public relations consultant.

One of my proudest moments as a parent was when my daughter (who is finishing her sophomore year at PHS) came home to tell me she was on the Torch staff! Not only did we both follow the same journalistic path, but we had the priviledge to do so under the guidance of one of the most influential mentors in the field!

Through his 30 years at PHS, Ken Zelnis has helped build one of the top journalism programs in the state of Michigan. Along the way, has shaped the lives of countless students who will forever be thankful for the opportunity, the experience and the memories!
-Dianna (Higgs) Stampfler - 1987 Trojan Torch News Editor

Enjoy your retirement Kenny Z! You were a true inspiration to a lot of students including myself. Your laid back style and passion for teaching made entering your classroom the best part of my day. Good luck!
-Justin Jungman1996-97 Trojan Torch Sports Editor

Kenny Z was definitely one of the most influential people in my life. He helped me see that I could pursue any avenue in journalism that I wanted, and I was fortunate to do so. I was a sports writer and photographer for the Allegan County News & Gazette, then moved on to write high school sports for the Chicago Sun-Times. I then decided that I wanted to be in corporate marketing communications, which is what I do today as a creative writing manager.

All of my journalism and marcomm achievements come from one strong base ... the one that Kenny Z helped me form. I am always proud to say that I got my start on the Trojan Torch staff. I thank him for always being a friend, no matter how many years it had been since we'd last spoken.

Best of luck to you in retirement! Thank you certainly doesn't seem like enough to say, but at the same time it says so much.
-Shannon (Cunningham) Fairlamb (PHS 1990)
1989-1990 Trojan Torch editor of photography

1 comment:

Sara Gooley said...

Z! Retiring! What will PHS do without you? Seriously. No other teacher has made as much of an impression on me than you. I did not pursue journalism, however, I did pursue teaching (LA & lit, of course)You are a true inspiration to me each & every day that I interact with my students.
Thank you for the respect & the belief in me each day of school - pushing me a little further, expecting a little more, helping me realize my own potential. You kick ass!
Sara (Walker) Gooley
PHS Trojan Torch Feature Editor 1993-95